Monday, January 13, 2020

Tenuta del Meriggio’s Luscious 2017 DOCG Greco di Tufo by Philip S. Kampe





Its been less than a month since I had the opportunity to overdose on the best 2017 Greco di Tufo that I had the opportunity to sample, or should I say, drink non-stop during my visit to the vineyards of Tenuta del Meriggio in Irpinia (Campania) Italy.

The vineyard was acquired by the Pizza Family (yes, that’s their real name) in 2010. Father and mother, Bruno and Nunziz, with their college age kids, Saverio and Emilia, run the family business from their estate near the town of Avellino.

On my recent visit, I felt connected with both the family and the wine. Its not the only wine from Tenuta del Meriggio that I fell in love with, but, just the first one I will tell you about. Its aged in stainless steel, bright yellow like papayas, full of minerality, as fresh as a newborn and as bright as the sun. The rounded taste lingers for minutes, a true invitation to sip more.

Historically, Geco di Tufo was transplanted to the village of Tufo in 1660. It is truly a noble grape with an ancient origin and considered the most prestigious white grape from Irpinia. Originally, it was brought to the region 2,500 years ago by Greek settlers.

And today, I believe Tenuta del Meriggio may be producing the best Greco di Tufo in the history of the grape.
What do you think?

Philip S. Kampe
philip.kampe@thewinehub.com.

1 comment:

bottlebarn said...

Nice post!!!
Find best California red wine from the collection of Bottle Barn

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....