Tuesday, September 2, 2014

True Confessions--Philip S. Kampe and the Summer of 2014


This is just a short update on my summer adventures. Normally the wine season slows down for wine journalists in the summer. Many of us need the time off to get our feet back on the ground.

My leader and guru, Luiz Alberto (#Winelover) is somewhat different. He has a 24/7, 365 days a year need to sample all of the wines the world has to offer. Maybe I am a little older, but, at times I need a break from wine. For me, my palate needs a breather before the season begins, typically with Michael Fuerstein's, Pas Mal Portfolio Tasting.

This year, my favorite tasting, takes place on 4 Septemeber--only two days from now. I love his wines--mostly French with many bottles of some of the Best Champagne this planet has ever produced. Literally, I drive six hours to sample his wines, then return to our house in western Massachusetts to dream of next years Pas Mal's tasting.  This year I am going to bring my wife, also a wine contributor, to the tasting, so she can see what I have been talking about for years.

My summer, as in the past, has been a somewhat different wine journalist adventure. Yes, I write a wine column for a local newspaper and I keep up with my blogs--but, at a slower pace.

What I do differently is review music at our world famous arena called Tanglewood. Conductor Leonard Bernstein and the Boston Symphony Orchestra call Tanglewood their summer home. The Maestro is not with us anymore, but, his legacy is.

The new Conductor, Andris Nelsons calls Tanglewood home.

My summer job at Tanglewood is quite simple--attend concerts--and review them.

Tanglewood, home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, is also home to many contemporary artists. I had the opportunity to review concerts by Joshua Bell, Yo-Yo Ma, Emanuel Ax, James Taylor, The Beach Boys, Josh Groban and Tony Bennett, just to mention a few.

Tanglewood supports the BYOB policy. Often times, the guests on the lawn snore, making us aware that the BYOB policy is well supported. I chose craft beers this summer, as my drink choice, followed by Prosecco with club soda and St. Germaine. Campari with a drop of gin and orange juice rounded out my schedule.

Well, it's only 48 hours until the wine season begins..time to enjoy the last non-wine-only drinks of the summer.

Philip S. Kampe
Philip.Kampe@TheWineHub.com

        
              

1 comment:

Grace N. said...

What an interesting article..

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....