Thursday, November 10, 2011

Tastingworks: Considered Reflections on the Wine Field - A Wine Blog by Lisa Granik MW


My fellow wine lovers,

I'm very happy to announce that there is another blogger on the block... Well, not just "another blogger"... but... Lisa Granik MW!

Here is what she had to say about her reasons to start blogging:
"It obviously has taken me a while to start a blog.  Friends have encouraged me to do so for years, but I’ve resisted.  Why the turnaround? Blogs have proliferated, not least in wine, and as they have, I’ve continued to be astounded at those who, supported by nothing but passion about wine, have established blogs and pontificate on any vinous (even non-vinous) subject of their choosing.   I applaud the multiplicity of voices, first, because some of them make me think, and, as I note below, I hope that some of these voices encourage more people to drink wine."

You should definitely read the entire story "First Principles". Here is the link to it: First Principles

There's also three very well written articles:

It Doesn’t Get Better than This: A Champagne Louis Roederer Tasting with Jean-Baptiste Lécaillon

Champagne Louis Roederer continues to be the quintessential Champagne house.  Certainly, there are plenty of brilliant Champagnes, and there are other houses with different styles — Bollinger and Charles Heidsieck immediately come to mind — where every step of the range offers dynamic, complex, vivid wine offering great pleasure but, if the mood suits, worthy of careful consideration. (click here to read the full story)

Orwellian Wines

I’ve been flummoxed. Recently I tasted a variety of wines from two different “natural” producers, both French.  “Natural” in this instance meant not just that they’d not been fined or filtered, but that they’d been made completely without sulfur.  Apart from the first wine, a pétillant Chenin Blanc, which the vendor touted as a nice “vin de soif” – (nice and harmless it was, but I think $27 should deliver far more than a picnic wine) I found not one wine compelling.  More than that: some of them were marred by excessive volatile acidity; several were lifeless on the palate (my notes said that the wines had “no pulse.”) (click here to read the full story)

Ribera del Duero Calificación de la Vendimia 2010

I eagerly accepted when the Consejo Regulador de Ribera del Duero invited me to be the 1st outsider (read: non-Spaniard) to participate in their annual vintage assessment.  I’d been to Ribera a few times ‘round, and have attended numerous D.O. tastings, but was eager to revisit the region, increase my familarity with it, and blind-taste a variety of raw wines strictly to evaluate their quality. (click here to read the full story)

This is what I had to say when Lisa sent me a note telling about her blog:
"Fantastic work Lisa! It is great to have someone that I like and that I can recommend as a reliable source to my friends and followers on the “blogsphere”. As amazing as it seems (with thousands of wine blogs out there), there’s still a lot of need for “an open spirit of thoughtful, analytical exploration and inquiry.”
I especially liked your “First Principles”. Very well written paragraphs… But, for me, even more important than how you say it (I wish I had this gift!), is what you said. I was seduced… and I have no doubt that many other wine lovers will be as well."

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Cheers,
LA

http://www.thewinehub.com/
One of the pillars of TheWineHub is Wine Tourism. Whether you are a wine maker, or a wine drinker, we all enjoy having discoveries...
TheWineHub exists to help you with that.

No comments:

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....