Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Adegga Wine Market 2011 #AWM2011

Picture by Ricardo Bernardo

My first Adegga Wine Market was one of the most entertaining events I attended in 2011 and, if you have been following where I have been and what I have done this year, you know that it says a lot! A very pleasant afternoon/evening of wine lovers interacting with winemakers (some of the best in Portugal were there) and enjoying an array of wines from the most important wine regions of the country. Besides that, it was wonderful to get to see the faces and chat with so many people that I only knew from social media (facebook, twitter, linkedin, foursquare, etc). Too many names here to mention...

I hope Jim Budd will not have a problem with my posting. I will explain: Andre Ribeirinho - CEO and founder of Adegga.com - let me attend the AWM2011 without paying the 7.50 euros that the other 850 guests were charged to taste the wines from 35 Portuguese producers. Even worse (or better?) I had free access to the "Premium Room" where some amazing wines were poured (the price to have access to some precious rarities - including a Ferreira Vintage Port 1863 - was 20 Euros).

Jokes aside, Andre requested Onne Wann (picture), Caroline Henry, Roger Kobu, and myself  - "The International Crew" of the event - to share our 10 best wines of the tasting. Unfortunately, I failed him miserably by not being able to taste all the wines... so I simply can't share "the best wines of the day", but rather, my favorite ones in an universe of approximately 40% of the total number of wines that were present.


Here they are... Eleven favorites in no specific order of preference: one sparkling, five whites, and five reds. As you can see, I haven't included any fortified wines. If I did, I would probably have only a list of Ports to suggest... or, a much more extensive list! :)

Quinta dos Carvalhais Espumante Reserva Rosé 2006 (sparkling)
Winery: Sogrape   |   Region: Dão, Portugal
Grape varieties: Encruzado  |  Touriga Nacional
 
Quinta Dos Carvalhais Encruzado 2010 (white)
Winery Sogrape   |   Region: Dão, Portugal
Grape variety: Encruzado

Vadio 2010 (white)
Winery Vadio   |   Region: Bairrada, Portugal
Grape variety: Cercial  |  Bical De Bairrada 
 
Torre De Tavares 2006 (white)
Winery: Joao Tavares de Pina   |   Region: Dão, Portugal
Grape variety: Encruzado
 
Quinta de Sanjoanne Escolha 2000 (white)
Winery: Casa de Cello   |   Region: Minho, Portugal
Grape varieties: Avesso  |  Alvarinho  |  Chardonnay
 
MARKA 2010 (white)
Winery: MARKA   |   Region: Douro, Portugal
Grape varieties: Gouveio  |  Viosinho  |  Moscatel Galego Branco
 
Cortes De Cima Reserva 2008 (red)
Winery: Cortes de Cima   |   Region: Alentejo, Portugal
Grape varieties: Aragonez  |  Touriga Nacional  |  Syrah  |  Petit Verdot
 
Quinta do Mouro Rótulo Dourado 2007 (red)
Winery: Quinta do Mouro   |   Region: Alentejo, Portugal
Grape varieties: Alicante Bouschet  |  Aragonez  |  Touriga Nacional  |  Cabernet Sauvignon
 
Pôpa TR 2008 (red)
Winery: Quinta do Pôpa   |   Region: Douro, Portugal
Grape variety: Tinta Roriz
 
Raya 2008 (red)
Winery: Horta de Gonçalpares Soc. Agrícola Lda.   |   Region: Beiras, Portugal
Grape varieties: Touriga Nacional  |  Touriga Franca  |  Tinta Roriz
 
 
Cavalo Maluco 2008 (red)
Winery: Herdade do Portocarro   |   Region: Terras do Sado, Portugal
Grape varieties: Touriga Franca  |  Touriga Nacional  |  Petit Verdot
 
As I said, I didn't get even close to tasting all the wines... My apologies to the wineries that were there and that I didn't have the opportunity to taste the wines. I have already told Andre that I would love to see this event happening in 2 days next year. Are you listening my dear friend? :)

Cheers,
LA
http://www.thewinehub.com/
One of the pillars of TheWineHub is Wine Tourism. Whether you are a wine maker, or a wine drinker, we all enjoy having discoveries...
TheWineHub exists to help you with that.


7 comments:

Casa de Cello said...

Thanks Luís for choose the Quinta de Sanjoanne Escolha 2000. We feel proud for that.

Lizzy said...

Very interesting point of view, yours, Luiz...! in what the Adegga market was one of the most entertaining events of the year? And what would you say about FIVI market in Piacenza? (well, true, it was not so entertaining...)
What is the difference?
L.

Carrie Jorgensen said...

Luis, we must say 'muito obrigado' to you for coming all the way from New Jersey to Lisbon, just to attend the Adegga Wine Market! Clearly, you are in love with Portuguese wines and Portugal itself! And we are happy to see Cortes de Cima Reserva 2008 in your list of your favorite wines!

Luiz Alberto, #winelover said...

@Casa de Cello - It was my pleasure to taste your delicious wines. Thanks for the opportunity!
Abraco,
Luiz

Luiz Alberto, #winelover said...

@Lizzy, It was great to see in Piacenza last week and I still hope I'll find time to write an article about the FIVI event... but for now I just want to say that, while the events - Adegga and FIVI - where "markets" where consumers could buy wines direct from the producers, I got a feeling that in Piacenza I was just at another Trade Show... talking to producers, tasting wines... Not the same (but similar) to attending a very, very small Vinitaly. I think FIVI is a step in the right direction, but I believe that the consumers were NOT well informed that they were there to connect with their favorite producers, learn about the wines that they like, and then buy them!
I don't have the numbers for the sales of FIVI, but I'm inclined to think that the AWM sold more wines with only 35 producers in only one day, than FIVI sold with 200 producers in two days...
Anyway, what I liked about the AWM is that I could see a great deal of engagement between the producers and the consumers. As you know, I go to dozens of "trade only" events during the year and, in some cases, where I attend events that are for the consumer (such as Sunday for Vinitaly) it is a mess! That's why I liked the AWM so much. I could see passionate consumers interacting with their favorite producers in a very relaxed (I could see that they were happy and having fun) but productive (wines were being sold) way.
I hope that is what we're going to see at FIVI next year...
Cheers,
LA

Luiz Alberto, #winelover said...

@Carrie Thanks for the kind words. What you said is true: I love Portugal and its wines! However,I wish I could credit to "coming all the way from New Jersey to Lisbon, just to attend the Adegga Wine Market!" but, actually, it's not totally true... I had another event to attend in Italy (FIVI - see above) and I was taking Andre Ribeirinho with me... The AWM was just the "perfect stopover" for me! What I can tell is that I'm attending AWM2012 with or without a coinciding event. And I hope to see you there next time... :)
Cheers,
LA

Ricardo Bernardo said...

Great way to celebrate the first of December in Portugal.

Friends and wine in one great event.

I feel very proud that you enjoyed the AWM2011.

40 Years of Winemaking at Russian River Valleys Sonoma-Cutrer by Philip S. Kampe

 Innovation in Winemaking at Sonoma-Cutrer began forty years ago. The focus has always been innovation for this Russian River Valley winery....